So here's an entry based on this #Lifehack video mom sent: http://mom.me/lifestyle/20241-kitchen-hacks-best-way-cut-watermelon/
I watched it. And then felt old because (1) I had to rewatch it because I thought they'd just pulled a magic trick and (2) I questioned the cleanliness of the cutting board.
Incidentally, this is becoming more of a norm with my mom, where she sends videos that speak for themselves. I almost miss the good ol' days when I'd get a 10-minute scroller with footnotes in traditional Chinese.
But since this post is about watermelons, here are some fun facts about the fruit that is 92% water!
- It's fat-free!
- It's low in sodium!
- Don't ask me about gluten if you don't want me asking you about your celiac disease.
- It has high lycopene levels and that is a GOOD thing. Lycopene is a phytonutrient that (a) gives red veggies/fruits the red coloration or pigmentation, and (b) has been correlated with heart/bone health + cancer prevention, and (c) is a powerful antioxidant. The redder the better!
- It's loaded with vitamin A & C (which helps out your skin and hair).
- It helps you poop. I'm sorry, I mean it "keeps you regular."
- It helps with muscle soreness if you drink watermelon juice before an intense workout because #aminoacids.
- Oklahoma recognizes it as its official state fruit.
- You can eat the entire thing!
- It probably came to the United States from African slaves. How you like 'em watermelons with a side of shameful history...?
Enjoy that yummy fruit!